Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekend results

I played a LOT of games this weekend. Didn't have any plans so other than a basketball game on Saturday night, some grocery shopping and a few other things ... I spent the rest of my time on PokerStars. Its now 11:30 on Sunday night and I'm not sure if its the time of night that has me tired or the drain of playing so much poker.

It was a rough weekend on the tables for me too. I had so many big hands cracked by absolutely rubbish cards. I won't go in to too much detail, but trust me, it wasn't pretty.

I was mostly playing the $1 90 man games, playing a lot of them, but I also played a few of the $2 90 man non-turbo games and also tried my luck at the $4 180 man non-turbos. The only highlight from playing most of Saturday was 2nd place finish, another final table and a couple of other cashes.

Tonight went a bit better as I made final table in the $2 game as well as the $4 game ... at the same time. I lost a key hand just prior to the final table of the $2 game so instead of being in the top 4 or 5 stacks I was down about 8th. Essentially there was an all-in and two big stacks. Instead of just checking it down, I got milked by the other player with minimum bets on all 3 streets. The board came queen ten rag and I had ace king, by the turn I had the straight draw, the nut flush draw and if the ace hit I had the top kicker. Nothing came for me and it turns out he had pocket kings. Blinds were quite high on the final table and I ended up going out in 7th place.

The $4 game started well for me but by the time we were down to the top 30 I was near the bottom of the leaderboard. I tried to be patient and wait for a hand but it wasn't coming. We got near the bubble and I was just praying I could make the money. I eventually got pocket kings and I just had enough left to call the blind and thankfully they held up. Next hand I pushed it in again with ace queen off and the big blind was the only caller with ace 6 off. Again it held up and I was safely in to the money. I made final table and watched as a few people got knocked out early. With blinds rising, I pushed all-in with ace ten as an attempted steal and the big blind called also with ace ten so we split it. Next hand I'm under the gun with ace queen off and I'm still short-stack by a fair margin so I push it all-in again. I get called by pocket 8's and ace 2 off in the big blind. My hand doesn't improve and the 8's take the hand down. So I finish that tournament also in 7th for a prize of $25. I would have loved to have gone a little further as each place up from there is another $10 and there's some really good cash for the top 3.

I'm happy with the way I played. I've decided to be more aggressive on final tables in order to give myself a better chance of winning or getting in the top 3, rather than hanging on and waiting for other players to get knocked out. So shoving with ace ten and ace queen when I was short-stacked is fair enough. Besides, I usually get called by weaker hands so the opportunity to chip up is definitely there.

So at the end of what feels like a rough weekend, bankroll is at US$340.

Below is my graph from SharkScope. Not tough to see when I finished 5th in that big field tournament for $102. The first "hill" on the graph where it goes from 0 to 100 and then back to 0 is when I was playing late last year on the credit I won from PokerStars. From then on its the US$12 I deposited.


No comments: