Friday, May 29, 2009

PokerStars Turbo Takedown

I mentioned it in my last post but it looks like my luck may be turning.

So far, I haven't enjoyed playing in the PokerStars FPP games, mainly because the play I've seen so far tends to be awful. Also, I don't earn FPP's that quickly so it seems like a waste to blow them in rubbish tournaments.

Tonight tho I took a punt and played one of the small satellites to the $1 million PokerStars Turbo Takedown tournament. As this is the 1 year anniversary of the tournament, PokerStars have included a brand new Porsche to the winner (as well as the $40K first prize money).

I was playing in the 25 + R FPP 2 x turbo game, up against 126 other players. I didn't have much luck early once running in a full house when I had a set and the same player called my all-in re-raise with pocket 4's and I couldn't unrun him. I think I rebought 2 or 3 times before the break and then took the add-on to give myself a chance. After the break we found out that with the FPP's in the pool, the top 6 would be going through to the main event.

When the blinds had flown up to 3000, I was big blind with 150 left, someone raised pre-flop and I had 3 5 suited. I couldn't fold and managed to catch a 3 to survive against the raisers ace queen. The tournament was pretty much a blur from 30 players down but I finally started picking up some hands and even better they held up.

Players were getting knocked out rapidly as the blinds continued to rise quickly and final table formed. I mostly stayed out of trouble and was relieved to see the big stack knock out a few players and then suck-out heads-up against the unlucky 7th placed finisher.

So, I'm in to the Turbo Takedown with 30,000 other players. 10,000 get paid ($35) so fingers crossed I can get in the money in this massive field and who knows, maybe I can turn my 100FPP investment in to something much, much more.


No comments: