Sunday, May 31, 2009

PokerStars Turbo Takedown wrap-up

Thanks to the time difference, I got up just after 4am this morning ready for the 4:30 start of the PokerStars Turbo Takedown. Not surprisingly, I didn't sleep that well leading up to the event, part nervous energy, part body not used to going to bed at 9pm.

There was a couple of active players on my table early and I wasn't getting cards so I just took notes and paid attention to what was going on. When I did get cards there wasn't too much action, other than me re-raising with pocket queens and then re-raising a bet on the flop on a low board. I took down a raised pot with a bet on the flop just before the first break that gave me a stack of 3500 (started with 3000).

Checking out Official Poker Rankings site, I noted there were a number of good, successful players on my table. There was a lot of pre-flop raises with good but not great hands and I guess this is what you have to do with the turbo format of the tournament.

One third of the 30,000 starters were gone by the first break and I was hoping to make it in to the top 10,000 where the money started. Unfortunately I went card dead after the break and with the turbo format the blinds were quickly rising and my stack was dwindling. I was just looking for a hand or a spot to take a stand and was dealt ace ten of diamonds in the big blind. It folded round to the button and with the small blind sitting out he decided to make a move. It looked like a steal so I called. He turned over 4 5 off-suit, good call me. First two cards out were a 4 and a 5, groan ... but there were two diamonds. Next card out was a diamond ... but unfortunately it was a 4 to give me the ace high flush but him a full-house. So I departed in roughly 11,000th spot, just outside the money.

I got my money in good, what more can I do? A disappointingly short tournament for me, over in about 90 mins. Quick nap on the couch and then it was time for work.


No comments: