Sunday, May 24, 2009

Running baaad

Actually, that title should be "Running Baaad", with a capital B. Yes, it was that bad.

Yesterday I started playing around 10am, had a break to get some grocery shopping and have dinner and then played again last night. To say it was a bad day would be an understatement. I had no luck, could get nothing going and couldn't get any cards to hold up. No matter how far ahead I was when the money went in, the villain would catch whatever miracle cards they needed to outrun me and send me packing.

I've just checked the numbers and I played 39 tournaments yesterday. Two big field tournaments, the rest $1 90 man turbo's, $2 180 man turbo's and a few $2 90 man non-turbo's. Out of those 39 games:
  • I made ONE final table at the end of the night but just came 7th (and it was only a $1 game)
  • I cashed just FIVE times (out of 39, my normal % would see me cash at least twice that often)
It wasn't even that I was bubbling or getting close, I was getting killed off early (for me) in most of them. I'm not sure whether you put a day like this down to variance or the fact that it would have been Saturday night overseas and therefore people are mucking around or drunk or don't care.

Should I just play weeknights from now on, where I seem to do so much better? Was I playing too many games? Whatever the answer, I'd prefer not to have another day like yesterday.

The only respectable effort was a deep'ish finish in the big field tournament at the end of the night. Out of 2682 players I finished 155th, not a great financial return but a solid effort. How did I get knocked out? Button (big stack) raises with 8 10 hearts, I (short stack) call with king jack off in the big blind as does someone else. Flop comes king, jack, rag with two hearts on the board. I'm first to act and shove all-in trying to kill any further play. The other player eventually calls and the big blind calls. The turn is of course another heart, I don't improve and am out.

Bankroll is back down to about US$345 I think.

No comments: