Thursday, May 28, 2009

Down-swing ending?

You know you're running bad/luck is not on your side when this (below) happens all in one night and you play just eight games. Here is how I got knocked out of three of them:
  1. Chipped up, later in the tournament, a very loose/bad player shoves massively all-in from early position. I noted that he had made similar moves with queen ten off and jack ten suited within the last 5 minutes alone. I have ace king suited and make the call for my tournament life. Against most players I wouldn't take this race but this spot I think there's a fair chance I'm ahead or just behind (small pockets) and its a great spot to double up and become chip leader. He turns over pocket 4's no surprise and I'm happy enough to take that race. First card out 2, then 3 and then my king on the turn, yes!! Next card out 5 ... uh oh, open-ended straight draw for him and a cruel ace on the river to give me two pair but him the straight and I'm out.
  2. Final table (no one out yet), I have a few chips and am in a good spot but with blinds rising I could use a double-up. You beauty, get dealt aces! The big stack is under the gun and just doubles the blinds so I shove all-in which is probably double what's he's got in the pot so I know he is unlikely to fold. He calls with ace king off and I'm well ahead. First card out is red and then FOUR running spades for him to make a flush (I don't have one) ... gone.
  3. Another final table (just one person gone), I again I have chips but could use a double-up. A player raises from early position but doesn't look too strong, I have pocket kings ... all-in over the top. He eventually calls with pocket 4's so I'm looking good until first card out is of course a 4. My hand doesn't improve and I'm out ... ouch.
Thankfully the last couple of days have improved a little. I've only been playing the $1 90 man turbo games, just to build my bankroll up again so I can take more shots at the $2 90 and 180's.

Wednesday I made 2 final tables out of 8 games, no deep finishes unfortunately. Then yesterday I made 2 final tables out of 3, one 3rd place and one 5th which isn't too bad. Hopefully I can have a strong showing this weekend to finish off May.

No comments: