Sunday, August 9, 2009

Weekly update

I'm sitting at my parent's house watching a British documentary called "Stephen Fry in America". Dad was keen to watch it and its been surprisingly entertaining. Fry is basically doing a tour around the US in a London cab and tonight's episode is focussing on New England. There's not much on TV on a Sunday night so I might find myself watching it over the next few weeks. The other option is Australian Idol which we watched a bit of earlier. The early episodes are the most entertaining as you have the extremes ... the good ones that stand out from the really terrible.

So yes, a quiet end to the weekend but not a total surprise after today. I spent the day moving not only my unit but the office to my new place in Morningside, just around the corner from my unit. It'll be interesting to go back to a home office again after having the separation from work over the last few years. The move wasn't fun ... the new place has 4 flights of stairs so even the removalists were struggling by the end of it. They were here for over 4 hours today, 2/3 of that spent unloading at the new unit and trying to get everything up the stairwell.

Anyway ... on to poker. I probably should have spent most of yesterday packing and getting organised but of course I didn't, I was instead playing online at PokerStars. Its been a swingy kind of week to say the least. After a solid, consistent last month or so and after seeing my game develop and grow, I've now started playing the next level of tournaments. Sure, its still micro but its a bit of a jump from the $1 level. The step I've taken is to the $3.25 45 man turbo tournaments and I've played plenty of them this week.

The $3.25 games didn't get off to a flying start for me as I bubbled a LOT of them early. I didn't think it was because I was playing badly or even too conservatively, I just felt like I was getting quite unlucky in the wrong spots. After the first few days I was breaking even in them but had a couple of days where I didn't do well, hardly cashing at all and even when I did they were min-cashes. I eventually started getting a little deeper and yesterday broke through for my first win, as well as a second and a fourth. I'm still playing a number of the $1 tournaments and did take down one of them yesterday too.

My bankroll has been fairly swingy this week, starting at $410 I've been down under $380 several times and up over $430 a few times, I think I'm currently sitting just over $420. I guess I'm going to need to get used to that as I start moving up from the $1 games. My ROI this month isn't great at just 9% but I'm still slightly in profit. My 90 - 180 games is in the red at the moment so I'd like to fix that in the next week or two ... it doesn't look good to me on OPR if I'm unprofitable in some games.

So the week ahead ... plenty more of the $3.25 games, I'll probably see what other options there are above the $1 level, start mixing in some of the $2 games and see how I go with those again. I'd like to improve my profit and my ROI and continue to get some more wins on the board (3 so far this month, goal was 6 I believe).


No comments: