Monday, August 31, 2009

Status: Still sinking

Well, I really hoped to stop the poker rot last night but it didn't happen.

I played 24 tournaments last night on PokerStars and only cashed in ONE, the last one of the night.

Yes, I picked a couple of bad spots but I also ran in to some very unlucky situations. Overall tho, maybe I just wasn't being aggressive enough. I tend to play tight early and hope to chip up on the back of someone paying me off when I have a strong hand. Its in the middle and later stages of a tournament that I think needs the most work for me. I can go card dead and probably need to be raising more often, stealing more blinds, etc.

I had so many bubbles last night it was ridiculous! In the $3 45 man games, I had 2 final tables without cashing (top 7 get paid) and 6 other times I got knocked out inside the top 14. In the $2 180 man games, three times I got knocked out inside the top 24 (top 18 get paid). Sooo frustrating.

Thankfully my last game of the night and only cash was a second place in a $3 45 man. Going in to heads up the other guy has a massive chip lead as he just took out the other big stack. I get pocket aces in the big blind, he limps in and I know he's not folding because of his lead so I just minraise knowing that I'm pushing all-in on any flop. Flop comes king 2 7 so I go all-in and he calls because he's got king 2 suited and its over first hand.

So yes, I'm being tested right now and hopefully the lesson that I need to take from this is that I need to open up a bit more in the middle and late stages of the games. I'm out for dinner with a friend tonight but might get a chance to play after that.


No comments: