Monday, August 24, 2009

Frustrating

Last night's session seemed like hard work. My game seemed to be all over the shop, sometimes making good moves and smart plays and other times I just couldn't play hands any worse.

My dumbest hand of the night by far was against an early position raise from a loose/aggressive player. I've got pocket queens so I re-raise him solidly and he calls, which I expected. The board comes 5, 5, 7 or something like that and stupidly I check thinking he'll take a stab at the pot with his lower pair or ace high. He instead checks and the next card comes a king so I bet, he re-raises all-in and for some reason I call ... he of course turns over ace king and my stack is decimated. Just a dumb, dumb play and I was embarrassed I made it.

Another surprisingly horrible move by me came when I was 4-tabling and on one table I had ace king suited and on the other I had ace 4 suited, both on the button. One table there was a raise and a call and the other had a short-stack all-in. For some reason I re-raised all-in over the top of the all-in with ace 4 suited thinking it was the AK and by the time I realised what I had done, I decided to fold the AK on the other table and get my shit together. The ace 4 suited was up against pocket queens but I turned the flush for the nuts ... woops.

I played 23 tournaments last night, $2 180 man games but mostly $3.25 45 man games and cashed 5 of them. No heads-up action but I did have a 3rd and a 4th ... as well as roughly 5 bubbles, so roughly a break-even night by the end of it. I had a look at my August numbers and my profit is essentially all coming from the 45 man games. I realise the 180's have a higher variance and aren't suited to my normal/old game, but I'd like to continue to play them, work on them a little more and hopefully see some better results.

Won't be playing online tonight as I'm off to see Brad Pitt in Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds", I'll let you know what its like next time. Also not playing tomorrow as I'm catching up with a friend I haven't seen for a few months.


No comments: