Sunday, March 14, 2010

Update

I didn't do much blogging over the last week or two because work had been so flat out and I had been focussing on getting back in the gym.

Anyway, on to some of the things I haven't yet talked about. One night last week I tried to focus on the 180 man games. Probably my weakest game of all that I've played so far is the $2.20 180 game with about a -15% ROI (according to SharkScope). Usually I mix these in when I'm playing 45 man games so my thought was that if I just played these I might do better rather than playing different game speeds all at once. It didn't go well and I played 14 of these games and cashed none of them. Sure, its a very small sample and the variance in these are so high that I'm sure this is standard, but it was frustrating all the same.

In other news, the APL Poker Classic was held in Melbourne last weekend and a number of my friends were playing in it. One of my friends David posted on Facebook that he had made it in to the money which started at the top 100 (600 starters). I didn't see any further updates and figured he had just min-cashed until just before I went to bed he posted that he finished 4th winning $35K and a spot on Team APL for the World Series of Poker (valued at $15K). So today a few of us had a BBQ in New Farm park to celebrate his win and hear some of the stories. He basically put his success down to a good run of cards at the right time and not getting any bad beats.

After my failure in the 180's the previous week I decided to just focus on the 45 man games. At the moment I'm concentrating on the $6.50 buy-ins but using the $3.25's as a warm-up to get my head in the game. I hadn't been running that well during the week and my bankroll was down under $850 a few times. The last 2 days have been better tho as I won a $6.50 game and today a $3.25 one. The latter was satisfying as I came back from a very short-stack after I walked in to someone slow-playing aces and I had pocket tens. From there I clawed my way back and actually started heads-up ahead and won when my ace 8 held up after the big blind re-raised all-in with king queen off. I finished tonight cashing 3 out of the 4 tournaments I played before dinner and the 4th one I bubbled. It wasn't anything too exciting tho as I had two 6th places and a 3rd.

The bankroll is now back up to US$980 so hopefully tomorrow night I can push through the $1000 mark again and head onwards and upwards.

No comments: