Monday, March 15, 2010

Short session

I didn't really plan on playing tonight but I played for 2 hours or so. I've got the laptop in front of the TV, so since I wouldn't be as switched on as usual I just played the $3.25 45 man games and didn't play anymore than 3 at a time.

My best result was actually my first game where I finished 2nd. I was unlucky to do so as I played extremely well and got unlucky down the stretch. Before the final table with about 20 players left I took a flip I normally wouldn't when I raised pre and got shoved on by the big blind. Normally I'd fold there but I called and to my surprise he turned over queen ten suited. Thankfully there was a 7 on the flop because the turn was a queen and I knocked him out. Then on the bubble I raised on the button with kings and was delighted when a similar stack shoved over the top of me from the small blind. I was even happier when he turned over king queen off and I had a solid chip lead.

On the final table I re-raised all-in over a cutoff raise with ace king in the big blind and thankfully he turned over ace 9 off and my hand held. It was from here that things went downhill. I raised from the small blind putting a short-stack all-in, he calls with 10, 2 off ... I flop a king, turn a queen, he rivers a four card flush with the 2. Same player pushes all-in under-the-gun, I call in the big blind with ace 6 to try and knock him out. He turns over 8's, I flop 2 pair and he again rivers a four card flush.

Thankfully the big blind took out the short-stack so I get to heads-up but am facing a sizable chip deficit. Surprisingly he folds the first hand in the big blind when I shove and next hand I get pocket jacks in the big blind. He puts me all-in and I of course call, he turns over king 7 off and of course catches a king on the flop and the tournament is over.

After the first tournament I got knocked out in the first 5 players in 3 of the next 4 tournaments which is of course very unlike me. First i ran queens in to kings and then jacks in to aces, both of my hands I had in the big blind. The 3rd one I called a minraise, flopped top pair, turned two pair and then despite me showing strength on both the flop and turn he kept calling and rivered a better two pair.

I cashed the final tournament I played in coming in 6th. I was lucky to get to the money as I never had a stack and was very short going to the final table. Thankfully there was a suck-out early and 2 players got knocked out.

As I only played 7 tournaments, the 2nd and the 6th were enough to give me a profitable session and the bankroll is just under four figures at $997. I'm playing APL tomorrow night and trivia on Wednesday so won't be on PokerStars for the next few days.

No comments: