Wednesday, June 10, 2009

PokerStars update

With so many pro poker players in Vegas at the moment for the early events of the World Series of Poker, most of the poker blogs are relatively quiet at the moment. There is essentially a new event starting every day so that doesn't give them much time to sit in front of the laptop and update the world about what's going on.

I haven't been playing as much as usual in the last week or so. I really need to get moving with a few business things so this will be my focus over the next few weeks. Saying that tho, I played cash games at PokerStars for a few hours on Saturday and decided to play some tournaments last night. The work will have to wait until this weekend.

Last night I felt I was playing really well. I didn't play too many games, just ten and I final tabled 3 of them. It could've actually been more but there were the usual suck-outs along the way.

Kings losing to king queen suited when they chased down the flush to the river. That was bad ... and there were others, but the worst was an unraised pot where I have king five suited in the big blind. Board comes 5, 6, 5 ... lovely! Small blind checks, I check, early position bets min and both blinds call. Next card out is a queen, small blind checks, I check, early position bets min, small blind calls. I decide its time to get some more out of this pot so I raise a couple of times the min blind, nothing excessive. Early position then shoves massively all-in, small blind umms and ahhs and calls and I reshove over the top and small blind still calls. What do they have you wonder? Early position turns over queen ten off, small blind turns over ace 6 off ... I'm in shock that either of them are still in the pot but know they're both drawing very thin (queen or a six). And the river ... a six of course ...

As mentioned tho, I made three final tables finishing 3rd, 4th and a 6th. So a profitable night and good for the stats but nothing too exciting.

My real concern at the moment is my horrible performances in anything other than the $1 90 man games. Every time I play the $2 90 man non-turbo tournament or even the $2 180 man turbo, I'm doing no good at all. Compared with my success rates at the $1 game, the next level up is a real struggle right now. I don't think its any tougher, I'm just running bad. Sure, I don't play as many of those tournaments as I do the $1 games but in the last 2 weeks I have essentially not cashed ANY of them and bubbling the money twice is as good as it gets. Over the next week or two I will be playing more of these tournaments and hopefully this trend will not continue!

Anyway, bankroll is now at $363 ... yes, I'm plateauing at the moment.


No comments: