Monday, June 22, 2009

PokerStars update

Since my last post updating you on my online progress its been a rough week or two of poker for me. I mentioned in it that I was going to stop playing over the weekend because I seem to struggle to do well on Saturdays and Sundays.

I of course played anyway and my bankroll got smashed as I played a lot more $2 buy-in events trying to get to the next level. I ran BAAAD! Over the next 4 days (after my Friday update) I played 61 tournaments and cashed in just 8 of them and on the last day went 0 from 9! That is unheard of for me and my confidence was questioned.

I have since righted the ship and had a solid day on Sunday cashing in 7 of 23 tournaments. I felt like I was playing pretty well and was unlucky not to cash in a few more. Of those 7 cashes, 3 were final tables with the best result being a 2nd in a $1 90 man turbo. I really should've won that game but lost a couple of costly flips heads-up. I went in to heads-up play behind in chips (as usual) but fought back to even and then got to a 2 to 1 chip lead. At this point the other player raised from the small blind and I pushed all-in with pocket 9's from the big blind. He called with ace ten suited and caught two pair on the flop and my hand didn't improve. Then when he had a dominant lead he pushed all-in from the small blind and I instantly called with pocket tens. He turned over ace 8 suited and turned the flush to knock me out in 2nd place.

It annoys me to lose in situations like this where I know I'm up against worse players. I usually check out my competition's results on Official Poker Rankings and that gives me an idea of who I'm up against and what sort of player they are. Most of the time, I get to these final tables against loose/weak players but can't finish them off. I've started posting hands and following the threads on the Two Plus Two Poker Forum so hopefully that helps to improve my game and develop my play a bit more.

Anyway, bankroll is just over US$300 after dipping under 290 a couple of times. I'm just going to focus on the $1 90 man games for a while until I feel like I'm really crushing them, improve my stats and hopefully get June back in to the black again (-2% ROI at the moment).


No comments: