Monday, May 24, 2010

Suck-out Sundays

Sure, it was Monday night my time but since it was Sunday in the US, I'm fine calling it "Suck-out Sundays" on PokerStars. I've checked my stats on SharkScope before and its confirmed that Sunday & Monday are two of the worst performing days for me.

The night started well with a 2nd in my 4th game of the night but it was somewhere in the middle of my 12 game drought that I wandered why I bother playing on Monday nights. There was a spot or two I should've got away from but a number of others were just plain ugly.

I'm not sure why, but I loaded up a $2.20 180 man which I'm notoriously bad at (comparatively speaking) and hoped for the best. I think its the frustration of not doing well at them that makes me want to beat them. I was playing the 45 mans at the time but after laying very low for much of the tournament started to get a stack together at the right time. A double up or two later and I was easily in to the money ... which isn't unusual, its the next step that I seem to have trouble with. Blinding out is a problem inside the final 18 so I decided to be aggressive and it paid off making the final table.

It took forever to lose anyone off the final table and with the blinds rising so quickly I thought it would be me. There were multiple all-ins and miracle cards on the river to ensure that we didn't lose a player and I was half-way through typing "can we farking lose a player please?!" when I had pocket kings in early position. I stopped typing so as to not jinx myself and pushed all-in. I got called by queen jack suited and my hand held knocking the other player out in 9th. The very next hand, kings again ... I raise and take down the blinds. I took down a few pots but mostly stayed out the way unless I had monsters. One other player was doing most of the damage and before I knew it we were 3-handed. I lost a blind vs blind battle and it wasn't looking good but I doubled up once or twice and was soon heads-up. Unfortunately the villain had a 10 - 1 chip count when it started and as I went card-dead the contest was soon over.

The $72 prize for second in the 180 was a nice reward tho and made up for my drought at the 45 man tables which also ended around the same time with a 4th. So despite feeling like a really tough slog, it was a profitable session and the bankroll is now over $1260 which is pretty much even its highest point. APL tonight and State of Origin tomorrow means I won't be playing the next few nights.

No comments: