Friday, January 29, 2010

Running out of time

Another day another grind. I've just finished a 5.5 hour session of playing and I've still got a way to go to get to 750VPP's for the month. I'm now at 580 but I'm running out of time. I have the APL State Finals tomorrow and then an engagement party after that so it looks like it will all come down to a long session on Sunday and Monday morning if I'm going to make it.

Yesterday wasn't a great session because I couldn't get any higher than two 3rd place finishes. I also had a number of final table and money bubbles which means the bankroll was going backwards. It was a similar situation tonight as I had a number of min-cashes despite feeling like I was playing well. Bubbles were taking ages to burst and I was playing for the win so I have to just accept that it didn't go my way.

I finished the night with a win tho so that was nice. I won a flip 4 handed which gave me a good stack when my limp-call with 7's managed to hold against a shove with ace queen off. I knew the player I was heads-up against as she (I think) 20 tables so I have played against her a number of times. The battle was back and forth to begin with but her aggressive play soon saw her take the lead. I soon figured she was raising my big blind with any two cards and started calling light and just waited to hit cards. The turning point came when I re-raised with ace queen and she called me with 5 7 off and we got it on the turn of a king high flop because she was drawing to a straight. Ace on the river, I take it down and then turn the tables on her, raising a little lighter and eventually calling a small blind shove with ace 3 off and holding.

Its satisfying beating a regular/grinder heads-up. It shows I'm growing as a player and I definitely have improved my end-game. It really does make a difference when you can get a win in the 45's because if you aren't winning or getting top 3 every couple of tournaments, your bankroll really heads backwards. The win gets me back to $550 ... the amount of tables I'm trying to play probably weakens my play so its not a surprise to see it heads backwards a little.

Anyway, APL State Finals tomorrow ... I'd love to have another deep run and this time make the final table. I'll update you tomorrow or Sunday.

No comments: