Thursday, September 10, 2009

PokerStars update

After getting "back on track" last week, it didn't last long as the very next day I ran baaaad. I played 19 tournaments and min-cashed just one ... the second last ... which means I went 17 in a row without cashing to start the night.

The next night, not much better. Again 19 tournaments, started well with a 5th and a 3rd in the early going but then I blanked the last 10 games to finish the night.

The next night, a shorter session but similar results. 12 tournaments, two cashes a 4th in a 45 and a min-cash in a 180 man.

Thankfully the rot finally ended last night. I started with a couple of $1 games to ease in to it, first tournament I finish in 3rd. Then after a string of near misses, I end the night on a roll cashing 4 of the last 6. Two min-cashes in 180's and a 5th and a 2nd in the 45's.

The second was frustrating as I've only won one tournament so far this month. I'm yet to do my goals for September but trust me, I need to be winning more! The guy I was playing against was a fairly solid player, in fact (thanks to OPR) he usually plays at much higher levels so I'm not sure what he was doing in a $3 game. I was facing a 1:3 chip deficit when heads-up started and the plays were already high and large portion of my stack. I pushed with ace 6 off but went in behind as he had a better ace. Luckily I hit a 6 and took down the pot which got me right back in the game. After a bit of back and forth, I ended up pushing all-in with pocket 4's and was surprised when he called, turning over pocket 3's. I loved it when I saw it until the magic 3 came on the turn and I was gone. If I take down that hand where I'm a 4 to 1 favourite pre-flop he would be decimated and I would likely get the win. Oh well, next time maybe?

I'm managing to cash a little more often in the 180's of late, probably due to a more aggressive mid to late game strategy. Last night I just missed the final table twice which was rather frustrating. The second of the two I was last in chips with about 35 players left. My stack was on life support and I ended up pushing in with pocket 3's and won a race against 9 10 off. I did the same soon after with 5's from early position, got a few callers but someone pushed all-in on a complete bluff on the flop and a 5 came on the turn to give me the pot. I then doubled up again with pocket 4's and got called by ace 2 suited and won that race. From there I cruised in to the money, took down a pot or two but needed to double up to make the final table but got knocked out when a steal got called by ace king off and he turned a full house.

Not playing tonight because I'm catching up on some blogging and have a DVD to watch, Duplicity. I'm also up early in the morning to give a friend a lift to the airport. Will probably be back on PokerStars on Saturday and I'd like to get my roll over $600 again.


No comments: