Saturday, December 20, 2008

World Blogger Championship of Poker

Well the Blogger World Championship of Poker on PokerStars didn't go quite as I had planned. There were 3 qualifying rounds of No-limit hold'em leading to the final tournament.

Round 1 I played a little too tight and cautiously, finishing 200th out of around 550. Round 2 I had to get up at 4:30am to be ready for the starting time. I don't remember too much about the way things went (it was obviously too early) but I finished 170th out of 550.

The final round was this morning with another early start for me of 5:30am. I played well losing a couple of hands to the river, including the last which was the knock-out blow. The first I had pocket 4's and the board came 10, 2, 10. A player put a pot-sized bet out on the flop and I had the feeling they were betting on the 2. Next card out I think was a 3 so after they bet again on the turn I re-raised. They thought for a little bit and then called with a king coming on the river, they checked so I did too ... they turned over king-2 which is what I expected. The final hand was a small blind and myself big blind with king - 8. The flop comes 8, 5, 6 rainbow ... they bet hard I went over the top all-in but only had probably double what they had bet. They called turning over 8, 9 so I have to dodge a 7 (to fill their gut-shot straight draw) or a 9 and unfortunately the 9 comes on the river. I finish 110th out of 550 ... failing to get in the top 72 to qualify for the final.


No comments: