Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another Hubble ... another bubble

As mentioned in the last post, I was playing a LOT online a few weeks ago. I've eased off but dropped in to the office last night in time to play the hubble freeroll on PokerStars. I'm determined to make it through to the next round when there's cash/credit up for grabs. I've bubbled before and and I've made it in to the top 250 numerous times.

Last night I waited patiently for a decent hand, watching people push all-in early with nothing and getting called by not much more. I eventually start seeing hands and begin to chip right up. I get aces, raise considerably, get a few callers, they hit top pair (a ten) on the flop and then can't lay their hand down when I continue to bet strongly. I hit a few sets and full-houses and move in to the top 50 or so chip-leaders.

I probably only make a couple of mistakes all tournament. Firstly, a guy slow-plays aces and no one raises pre-flop. He hits a set on the flop and checks it down despite a possible straight already being on the board (and I have a straight-draw). I hit my king on the turn, he bets before me not too much, I call. The last card is a blank and he bets reasonably strong and I call a little too quickly. He shows his trip aces, I muck my pair of kings (one on the board).

The other was a semi-bluff that I tried to continue on with on the river. I had two diamonds and bet softly (probably too softly) on the turn when the 2nd diamond came out and everyone else had checked (I also had a straight draw). I miss on the river, he checks, I bet ... he thinks and calls ... with a pair of 4's with 4 overcards on the board. I guess I didn't disguise my bet on the draw well enough and he had enough chips to take the chance.

I fought back but ended up getting knocked out when I had ace-ten suited and the blinds were about $2500/$5000 I think. I probably should've raised or pushed all-in but I just called and there were 2 other callers I think. The board comes 10, 8, 2 ... big blind checks, I bet 3/4 of the pot and then the other player raises me. I call, he turns over queen-jack, next card out is the 9 giving him the straight and I'm knocked out 129th out of 10,173 players. Again ... so close yet so far.


No comments: