Sunday, December 14, 2008

PokerStars FPP games

I had a little time to kill on Saturday before playing soccer with friends so I checked out a few of the PokerStars games where the buy in is FPP's (Frequent Player Points). From my week or two of LOTS of online poker I had racked up 400 points. The games I thought that looked worthwhile were satellites in to a big cash weekly tournament and just cost 70FPP's. It was a one table tournament where the winner gets the ticket to the tournament.

First game I played well and made it to heads up although the other player had a substantial chip lead. I pushed all-in with pocket jacks and was called by ace-queen and of course the ace comes and I'm knocked out in 2nd.

Second game I again made it to heads up against a player that was being super-aggressive. He had already said he was playing wreckless because it was only a FPP game ... groan. I went in behind on chips but after pushing with ace-queen and winning when he called with ace-rag I had the chip lead. I get pocket aces in the small blind and just call, hoping he'll raise. He doesn't and the board comes 3, 6, 7. I think he acts first and bets, I raise, he pushes all-in over the top. I call hoping he doesn't have 4, 5 ... he doesn't, instead showing 4, 7. I'm looking good until a 5 lands on the river to fill his straight and my chip stack is crippled (I get knocked out next hand) and I again come in 2nd.

The next game I finish 3rd when my ace 9 push gets called by ace 5 suited and he hits a 5. The final two games I play I come in 5th both times. Frustrating to play well, especially in the first 2 games and get so close to winning but instead come away with nothing.


No comments: