Tuesday, December 30, 2008

APL roll

As the game last night signalled the end of this quarter's APL season its disappointing to know that I won't be heading back to States next month to back-up my cash-winning performance from last time. I really didn't play enough this season to put up good enough numbers to get me back there. I also didn't play enough games at one particular venue to be competitive.

Saying that tho, I finished the quarter on a pretty impressive roll. In my last 4 games (over 10 days) I finished 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 2nd last night. These results followed on from my 27th in the big game down at Tweed on December 14. I checked my stats on the website earlier and I only played 9 APL games this month but 6 of them I finished 5th or better.

Last night's game was at The Redbrick which I don't like as a venue but have a really good record there (3 games, won a regional tournament, a 4th and a 2nd). I ran very hot early until my nut flush ran in to a full house. I then hovered around the same mark until the blinds were nearly catching up on me. I got some good cards and some even better flops and chipped up to a strong level. The blinds were massive long before final table and it became a push-fest. On the bubble, I pushed from under-the-gun with ace-jack off-suit, got called by a short-stack small blind and the big blind who had my stack covered folded ace-king! Neither of us hit and I took the pot down.

On the final table one guy who had been playing VERY loose all night cleaned house taking out a few players and chipping up massively when his jack-ten off-suit took out 3 players in one hand (one had pocket kings, one had pocket jacks). He took out the 3rd placed player and had a MASSIVE chip lead when we got heads up. He was pushing with everything but I won a couple of hands in a row before losing a race and the game.

The new season starts tomorrow and I WILL be going back to the APL State Finals next quarter.


No comments: