Thursday, October 30, 2008

Poker online for money

Tonight for the first time ever ... I played for money online. I had been reading a blog (thanks Assassinato) for the last few days of a young poker pro and I felt inspired to give it a go. I won $5 on PokerStars a few months ago for placing in the second round of a tournament so I thought why not.

I had a look at PokerStar's list of games and obviously considering the "bankroll" I had, I went for the most micro of micro tournaments. So the first tournament I registered for was a 360 player 10c buy-in ... just so I could see how things work, style of play, etc. While waiting for that I also registered for a 45 player, $1 + 20c tournament. In the 360 player game I finished 63rd and in the 45 player game I made it to final table and finished 6th!

The final table I made, I actually went in placed 2nd in chips. Not surprisingly the action was very aggressive and people were pushing hard. I started bleeding chips and made the mistake of not pushing with ace-king suited from behind the button. Everyone called, I didn't hit but chased and after that hand my stack was crippled. First real sit-n-go and I cashed, only $3 but pretty happy with that.

I didn't have much to do tonight so I played another 2 x 360 tournaments and finished 160th and 74th respectively. Two more 45 player sit-n-go's, 11th in the first and then another 6th placed finish in the second. I again was chipped up near final table, called a push with pocket 9's and another player called behind me. The board came out all low but I checked with the intention of checking it down to knock the all-in player out. The guy behind me tho pushed all-in ... I eventually layed it down ... thankfully the player behind me had pocket jacks so that was a very good fold. His jacks held and we moved to the final table. Unfortunately I tried to bluff a guy out of a pot (which I rarely do) early on, blind vs blind ... but he called twice with middle pair and no kicker and I was busted. My stack was then hurting and I limped through to 6th again and another $3 cash.

So first ever night of online poker for money, two final tables out of three sit-no-go's (I'm not really counting the 3 x 360 player games for 10c each) ... pretty happy with that!


No comments: