Monday, October 20, 2008

My poker persona

So what "type" of poker player am I?

Well, anyone that plays poker with or against me knows ... I'm a tight, conservative player. I've read the books, I know what good cards are, so I tend to sit tight waiting for good hands and then try to take down those pots. Everyone (well most people anyway) knows what good cards are ... but I can fold just about anything depending on the situation, position, the table, the people I'm playing against, what I'm playing for, etc.

I know I need to loosen up a bit because good/great cards don't come along that often, and even if they do they don't always hold up. I'm starting to play a wider range of cards and I need to pick a few more spots to throw in some bluffs at the right time. I know I'm too tight because people can often pick the hands or at least get close to the cards I'm playing (in APL, where you tend to play against the same people regularly). Playing online poker is quite a different scenario ... you're usually playing against people for the first time and it takes time (which you don't often have) to create a reputation or an image. Just by the way, my "name" on PokerStars is CapitalDodge ... say hi if you're playing against me.

No comments: