Monday, October 20, 2008

A quick poker introduction

I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of this blog will be yet (poker obviously), but I've got a few ideas and I'm sure it'll figure itself out in the upcoming weeks.

How did I get in to poker? Well, one of my friends put together a cash game about 18 months ago. The buy-in was $50 and we would play once a month. I knew what texas hold-em poker was and the game had always intrigued me. I had watched it on TV and I knew what poker hands beat what, etc ... but didn't really know how to play. My brother had played a little pub league poker so he was the first person I turned to for the quick "teach me how to play in under 5 mins" version. The lesson basically was about strong started hands ... pockets and high cards.

I enjoyed playing and I did ok in the second of the cash games but I'm fairly competitive so I figured if I was going to put in $50 a month to play, I wanted to give myself the best possible chance of coming out ahead. So I asked one of my friends where he played/practiced and he mentioned PokerStars as a good place to play for free and learn how to play. I built up my free bank playing limit hold-em (so you weren't up against idiots/donkeys going all in with nothing) and then the small stakes no-limit. Now I just tend to play sit'n go's and freerolls.

After playing for a little while online I was chatting to another Aussie during a game and he mentioned the free local pub league games and said they were worth checking out. One night when our regular cash game got cancelled I decided to check out the Australian Poker League (APL) game down the road from my place at Bulimba Golf Club. I didn't really know what I was doing but I enjoyed the thrill of the competition. I now play in the APL at least twice a week, regularly Monday and Thursday nights sometimes on the weekend.


No comments: