Thursday, November 12, 2009

APL - Broadway Hotel

After missing out on the final table last week, I was keen to get back on track at the Broadway and move back up the venue leaderboard.

As per usual, I got NO cards early. Actually, I did get ace king in the small blind first hand but out of position and that early on I was happy just to see a flop as I didn't think I could get either limper to fold. I hit a king on the river but someone was slow-playing a flopped set but bet weak on the river so it didn't cost me much to see what he was doing.

I was patient after the break and when the blinds were too much of my stack I pushed all-in vs 2 limpers with ace jack off. I got called by a limp under-the-gun with ace 4 off and by pocket 2's. Thankfully I caught a jack on the turn and took down a sizable pot that got me back in the game. From there I started to see some hands and continued to build my stack.

Close to the bubble I raise-folded with ace jack short-handed when I got re-raised by an older woman in the big blind. I decided to lay it down as I didn't think it was a good spot but because of that I went to the final table short-stacked.

I drew the big blind spot on the final table which wasn't great with my stack but took down the first hand which gave me some time. I later called all-in with ace ten off on the button and my ace high won. Next hand I got kings, shoved, got isolated and took it down. I later defended my big-blind vs a small-blind shove with ace 2 off, was ahead pre-flop and again it held. I ended up getting knocked out when my big blind was 3/4 of my stack and I had to call a small blind push. He turned over ace king off so my cards were live ... flopped a 3, he flopped the nut flush draw, turned an ace and then rivered the flush.

I finished in 4th place which I thought would give me the venue lead but unfortunately the woman who won the final table was also in contention and now has a 29 point lead on me. I'm 19 ahead of a friend of mine who is in 3rd and another friend of mine is in 5th. Its a tight contest still so I need another couple of final tables or a win to put a gap on the field and then head to States.


No comments: