Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Online poker update

Despite some very social weekends of late, I've still been managing to get a lot of online poker action in on PokerStars.

Last time I posted I was in the middle of a purple patch including a run of successive nights with at least one tournament win. The streak finished at five nights in a row I think ... with the final two nights including two wins. After every "heater" it seems there is a down-swing and I am down a little over the last week or so and haven't had a win or even a second-place since the streak which is almost two weeks ago now. I've played 7 sessions in that time and I think only one of them was profitable, a couple have been pretty much break even and there's been a couple of shockers.

I feel like I'm playing well and making the right plays, things just aren't going my way when I need them to. Sure, I realise I get lucky in other spots so I'm not complaining and I'm sure I'll get on another upswing soon.

Last night I played 19 games, cashing just 3, a 4th a 5th and a 6th all in the 45 man tournaments. The fourth was disappointing as I went to the final table sitting in second place and did absolutely nothing wrong, I was active and felt very much in control. I took a hit four-handed when a short stack pushed all-in and I called from the big blind with pocket 6's. He turned over pocket 10's and I lost about 40% of my stack and was now the short-stack. I fought back through the big stack when he tried to steal the blinds and I re-raised with ace ten in the small blind. He turned over jack 9 off and I hit a full-house to more than double up. Things were going well until I got ace king on the button, raised and was then re-raised all-in by the big blind (same guy that had 10's earlier). I had to call and was happy to do so, he turned over queens (fair enough), I catch a king on the flop (YEAH!) and then the turn comes a queen to send me to the rail.

I also had my first ever tournament where I got knocked out first hand. Someone doubled the blinds from under the gun, called by under the gun + 1 and then the next player pushed all-in over the top. I had pocket kings in the small blind and knew this was a good spot so I called and everyone else folded. The pusher turns over pocket 9's, I fist-pump until the first card out is a 9 and I know I'm in massive trouble.

Bankroll is just over US$420. I'm starting to come down with a cold so I'll likely be staying in the next few nights playing online. Hopefully I can get in the money a little more often and get to heads-up again. I'm keen to start playing the $3.25 45 man games and really start pushing upwards.


No comments: