Sunday, July 5, 2009

3 days ... no poker

I just posted on my FaceBook profile that I haven't played poker for 3 days ... not surprisingly, within minutes a number of my friends came back wondering if I was sick, my internet was broken or just general shock. Yes, it has been a while since I've had a few days off from playing.

So what's been going on? Well, just had stuff on, just haven't been on my laptop, just had other things to do.

Friday afternoon I left work a little early as one of my best friends had invited for dinner and a night at the Broncos. I hadn't seen him for a while so it was good to catch up with him as well as a number of other friends that came to the game. After the NZ Warriors scored an early try to shock the crowd and of course the Broncos, Brisbane fought their way back in to the game and rolled over the top of the Warriors in the second half. Beers before the game, beer during dinner, beer during the game and I ended up crashing the night at Steve's place.

The next day started with a casual chat with Steve and his wife before Steve showed off his ever-improving culinary skills with the chef-standard omelette. That afternoon I went to the start of an old friend's bucks party which was barefoot bowling at Moorooka (where I used to live). It was a beautiful afternoon and perfect for lawn bowls and a couple of beers. The form on the greens was rather inconsistent to say the least, but I did have my moments. That night I went to the parents for dinner and as always mum cooked up a feast! Bowls was supposed to include a BBQ lunch but it didn't happen so by the time I got to the parents I was STARVING. Mum delivered the goods with a malaysian curry buffet and I'm pretty sure I had thirds. After that settled there were some home-made chocolate brownies straight from the oven ... mmmmmmm.

Sunday morning is always a leisurely affair at the folks place. Sleep in, have breakfast and enjoy hours of Foxtel programming. Simpsons, Sex & The City and plenty of property/renovation shows. After lunch I eventually hit the road, did some grocery shopping, got to the gym and then had dinner. Still ... no poker played.

When I finally did get online tonight, I of course caught up on goings on at the World Series of Poker. In the final event before the Main Event, one of Assassinato's friends, Faraz Jaka came 3rd in the $5K 6-handed no-limit hold'em picking himself up a cool $400K prize money. I'm sure he's disappointed not to have won but its a great result in a field of 928 players. Good going Faraz!

The Main Event itself got underway yesterday and day 1b finished today. With almost 1000 players starting both days its very hard to find out how players you follow got on. It'll be easier to figure out who's in and who's out when we get to day 2 and 3.

Anyway, I promise there will be more poker talk next post ...

The Brisbane Broncos in their Lance Armstrong inspired yellow jerseys


No comments: