Friday, November 5, 2010

Life ...

So its not that I haven't wanted to play poker over the last month, I've just been busy with everything else, so cards has taken the back-seat.

I guess the main reason I haven't been playing is that work has been really busy. October was the most profitable month we've had in at least 2.5 years. We're coming in to peak season work-wise so I expect the next 5 weeks to be pretty busy and hopefully November can be somewhere close to last month. Its already off to a very good start so my fingers are crossed.

Last weekend I spent 4 days up at Hyatt Coolum for a friend's 40th. I had a great weekend catching up with some old friends, spending the days by the pool getting a bit of sun (not that you could tell), watching double-header NBA games and reading "The girl with the dragon tattoo". Nights were spent eating, drinking and just hanging out.

I've also been really disciplined with exercise over the last month or so and have been working out at least 4 times a week. As well as the normal mix of cardio and weights, I've also started going to a boxing gym once a week that is run by a friend of a friend. I've done boxing in the past, but it was more social-cardio based, this is a lot more serious training, focussing on actual technique and uses a lot of MMA style training methods. The sessions only last 30 minutes but I'm stuffed by the end of them ... actually I'm usually stuffed about half way through! The hard work is paying off tho and the abs are not that far off.

Movies wise, I saw Wall Street 2 earlier in the month and then The Social Network on Sunday night. Wall Street 2 was great because its one of my best friends favourite movies so we made a day and night of it by watching the original at his place and then seeing the second in Gold Class. My best friend has a very successful business so we had a delicious meal while at his place, Louis Roederer champagne and fois gras for entree, duck for main and then chocolate souffle for dessert. In Gold Class, we shared a bottle of Moet (which as you might guess wasn't cheap at the movies) had some nibbles and then some more sensational food once we got home.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Social Network, it was always going to appeal to me when its about Facebook which I use often, its essentially about the origins of an online business and is based on the book written by Ben Melzer (author of "Bringing down the house").

With the November Nine about to resume to find out who will be the new world champion, I just started watching the World Series of Poker coverage today. I've only just started watching episode 2 so I have a lot of catching up to do!

Oh, and probably the coolest thing from this month, my wealthy friend that I mentioned above, made my day/week/month by calling me rather excitedly to tell me I had helped him make $400,000 in the space of just 12 weeks! While I would have rather made the money myself, it was extremely satisfying to know that I've helped my best friend like that.

No comments: